Religious building

Church Annunciazione della Beata Vergine Maria

Attributed to Giovanni Maria Borsotto and erected in 1756-1776, this was the church of the Carmelitan fathers, as confirmed by the statue of St Albert on the second altar on

Read More

Church Assunzione della Beata Vergine Maria, Pieve di Coriano

As stated in a XVI century plaque on its façade, they believe that the church was built on the orders of countess Matilda of Tuscany. Actually, it was already there

Read More

Church of Cristo Redentore

Built in 1979, this is dedicated to Jesus Christ the Redeemer of Mankind, in memory of Pope John Paul II’s first encyclical.
Set in a central space with several other public

Read More

Church of St Biagio

The present parish church, at San Biagio, was constructed between 1764 and 1780 to replace a previous one, built in the 14C, and dedicated for worship ten years later. It

Read More

Church of St Celestino I pope

As early as 1037, a church dedicated to Pope St Celestine, of which no trace remains, stood at Pietole in a hamlet that once existed by the River Mincio.
The rediscovery

Read More

Church of St Erasmo and Agostino

This parish church was built in 1756 and completed in 1805 to 18C baroque models and has decorative similarities to Sant’Andrea in Mantua. The bell-tower, in a Lombard Gothic style

Read More

Church of St Felicita and Sette Fratelli Martiri

Already present in the 14C and rebuilt from 1339 on by bishop Gotifredo of Mantua, this church features three large windows on the facade. Inside, it has three aisles and

Read More

Church of St Filippo and Giacomo

The parish church was built in about 1695. The then parish priest, Father Giacinto Cagnoli, abandoned the dilapidated church that stood at the Torri and built this one.
Recently cleaned inside,

Read More

Church of St Gervasio and Protasio Martyrs

This church has extremely old roots although the present construction can be dated to between 1730 and 1741, the time of its radical refurbishment by Paolo Soratini from Camoldoli in

Read More

Church of St Giacomo Maggiore

The parish church was built in 1790, also on the riverbank. As early as the Middle Ages, Bonizzo had its own place of worship but, as if the River Po

Read More

Church of St Giorgio martyr

This imposing church standing on the main Cisa road is of clearly neo-16C inspiration. Built to a design by Veronese architect Paolo Pozzo, it was completed in 1798. The Saint’s

Read More

Church of St Giovanni Battista

The present parish church was inaugurated in 1863 but recent restoration work has uncovered traces of an early Romanesque church facing east-west that was partially restructured between the late 16C

Read More

Church of St Giovanni Battista

Consecrated in 1550, this was completely rebuilt in 1788 following damage caused by a violent hurricane. Situated on the riverbank in the hamlet of Bonizzo, it conserves a precious painting

Read More

Church of St Girolamo

The parish church is dedicated to St Jerome, priest and Doctor of the Church. It was built from scratch by Duke Guglielmo Gonzaga, on the site of an old tower

Read More

Church of St Maria Assunta

The church of Santa Maria Assunta was built in 1580 and has a simple but unusual facade of pink and white marble ashlars. The interior has just a nave and

Read More

Church of St Maria Assunta and St Cristoforo in Castello

The archpretal church known as in Castello was once inside the walls of Viadana. From 700 AD, there are records of a chapel on the site of the present church

Read More

Church of St Martino and St Nicola

The earliest record this church dates from 1442. In 1571, the church of San Martino, which stood one kilometre south of the riverbank, was destroyed by flooding and a more

Read More

Church of St Michele Arcangelo

The parish church originally dates from the 17C but was radically renovated in 1958 in the modern style.
The Archangel Michael is depicted in the apse as well as in a

Read More

Church of St Michele Arcangelo

A plaque on the exterior commemorates Monsignor Luigi Martini, spiritual comforter of the Belfiore Martyrs and born in Sustinente.
Founded by the monks of Polirone, its present architecture, now restored, is

Read More

Church of St Michele Arcangelo

Dedicated to two patron saints, St Michael the Archangel and St Andrew the Apostle, this church is the product of two successive reconstructions: in or around 1476, an early oratory

Read More